CAINE (Computer Aided INvestigative Environment) is an Italian GNU/Linux live distribution created as a project of Digital Forensics. Currently the project manager is Nanni Bassetti.
CAINE offers a complete forensic environment that is organized to integrate existing software tools as software modules and to provide a friendly graphical interface.
The main design objectives that CAINE aims to guarantee are the following:
- an interoperable environment that supports the digital investigator during the four phases of the digital investigation
- a user friendly graphical interface
- user friendly tools
CAINE represents fully the spirit of the Open Source philosophy, because the project is completely open, everyone could take the legacy of the previous developer or project manager. The distro is open source, the Windows side (Wintaylor) is open source and, the last but not the least, the distro is installable, so giving the opportunity to rebuild it in a new brand version, so giving a long life to this project ....
CHANGELOG CAINE 6.0 "Dark Matter"Kernel 3.16.0-36
Based on Ubuntu 14.04.1 64BIT - UEFI/SECURE BOOT Ready!
Caine 6.0 on pendrive can boot on Uefi/Uefi+secure boot/Legacy Bios/Bios.
Caine 6.0 on DVD can boot on Legacy Bios/Bios.
SystemBack is the new installer.
- fixed password request in polkit
- fixed password request in textmode e tty
- Bash bug fixed shellshock
- mount policy always in ro and loop mode
- fstrim disabled (enable uncommenting the row in /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim)
- autopsy patched by Maxim Suhanov:
- (HFS directories handling fixed,
- Sun VTOC volume system handling fixed,
- incorrect timestamps (that are equal to zero) are handled as 01/01/1970 00:00:00)
- QPhotorec (photorec gui)
- BEViewer Bulk Extractor
- Log2timeline plaso - supertimeline
- Inception memory dumper by firewire
- Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 wireless card drivers